A comprehensive eye exam may reveal that you have high intraocular eye pressure (IOP) or other risk factors for glaucoma. Though there currently is no cure for glaucoma,1 high IOP can be managed with eye drops, laser surgery or conventional surgery.2 Glaucoma can lead to permanent loss of vision3 – so it’s important that you understand your diagnosis and what your doctor recommends. Here are some questions to ask.
You can download the entire list of questions at the bottom of the page to print out and bring to your next visit.
1. Glaucoma Research Organization. Facts and Stats. http://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/glaucoma-facts-and-stats.php. Accessed February 14, 2013.
2. The Glaucoma Foundation. Treating Glaucoma. http://www.glaucomafoundation.org/treating_glaucoma.htm. Accessed February 14, 2013.
3. National Eye Institute. Facts About Glaucoma, Glaucoma Symptoms. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/glaucoma/glaucoma_facts.asp - a. Accessed February 8, 2013.
4. American Glaucoma Society. Glaucoma Basics & Frequently Asked Questions. http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/patients/faqs. Accessed February 8, 2013.
5. Glaucoma Research Foundation. Five Common Glaucoma Tests. http://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/diagnostic-tests.php. Accessed February 11, 2013.
6A. American Optometric Association. Glaucoma. http://www.aoa.org/Glaucoma.xml. Accessed March 14, 2013.
6B. Glaucoma Research Foundation. What is Glaucoma? High Eye Pressure and Glaucoma. http://www.glaucoma.org/gleams/high-eye-pressure-and-glaucoma.php. Accessed April 11, 2013.
7. American Optometric Association. Glaucoma: Lifelong Treatment. http://www.aoa.org/Glaucoma.xml. Accessed February 14, 2013.
8. Han, JA; Frishman, WH; Wu Sun, S; Palmiero, PM; Petrillo R; Cardiovascular and respiratory considerations with pharmacotherapy of glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Cardiol Rev. 2008 Mar-Apr;16(2):95-108. doi: 10.1097/CRD.0b013e318156ec64.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18281912. Accessed February 14, 2013.
9. Glaucoma Research Foundation. Five Common Glaucoma Tests.
http://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/diagnostic-tests.php. Accessed February 11, 2013.